[hibernate-dev] Immutable entities

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Jun 24 13:58:16 EDT 2008

Mutable entities should be creatable as well as deletable.

The difficulty with immutable and checking for changes (to see whether
we should throw an exception) is that of performance in the case of
simple reattachment of detached entities.  This is less an issue in the
case of merge()/saveOrUpdateCopy().  But in the simple case reattachment
this would require a select to know the previous values.  So for
consistency-sake (I assume) immutable="true" always just ignores any
potential changes.

We could certainly add a feature for the optional ability to perform the
checking (which I agree would be more desirable, probably, as a user).

--

Steve Ebersole
Project Lead
steve at hibernate.org