[hibernate-dev] TransactionException

Xinsheng Chen xinsheng_chen at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 22:24:55 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am using

hibernate-3.2.6.ga

mysql-connector-java-5.1.5

spring-framework-2.5.1

liferay-portal-tomcat-6.0-4.3.6

My portlet application runs fine for most of the time.
However, in the morning when I run the Web application
and save user input into the database at the first
try, it throws exception. I got the following from
Tomcat Catalina.out.

2008-05-06 14:41:17,461 WARN
[org.springframework.web.portlet.DispatcherPortlet] -
Handler execution resulted in exception - forwarding
to resolved error view

org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException:
Could not open Hibernate Session for transaction;
nested exception is
org.hibernate.TransactionException: JDBC begin failed:

        at
org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTransactionManager.doBegin(HibernateTransactionManager.java:521)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Caused by: org.hibernate.TransactionException: JDBC
begin failed:

        at
org.hibernate.transaction.JDBCTransaction.begin(JDBCTransaction.java:68)

        at
org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.beginTransaction(SessionImpl.java:1326)

        at
org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTransactionManager.doBegin(HibernateTransactionManager.java:490)

        ... 110 more

Caused by:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException:
Communications link failure

I have browsed some Web sites. It is said that the
problem is stale database connection. Following the
advice I have added the following lines in my
hibernate configuration file:

                                                <prop
key="hibernate.c3p0.acquire_increment">3</prop>

                                                <prop
key="hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period">30</prop>

                                                <prop
key="hibernate.c3p0.timeout">60</prop>

                                                <prop
key="hibernate.c3p0.max_size">15</prop>

                                                <prop
key="hibernate.c3p0.max_statements">0</prop>

                                                <prop
key="hibernate.c3p0.min_size">3</prop>

But it does not help.

Any help would be appreciated!