[hibernate-dev] CGLIB

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue May 20 12:28:42 EDT 2008

Since it is really ASM for which we are interested in isolation, I
guess we would take the cglib-nodep jar which 'bundles' ASM as
net.sf.cglib.asm (perhaps via jarjar as well) and run jarjar on that
to repackage net.sf.cglib -> org.hibernate.cglib (or some-such).  Is
that your understanding as well?

On May 19, 2008, at 3:45 PM, Max Ross wrote:

> jarjar can be a good option when you're looking to avoid version
> conflicts.  Guice uses this to depend on a specific version of cglib.
>
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Steve Ebersole
> <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Our (default) dependency on CGLIB is starting to cause problems due
> to other libraries using newer versions of ASM (3.x) then the
> released versions of CGLIB use (2.x).  We have now been waiting
> about a year for a new CGLIB release to use these newer ASM APIs.
> With 3.3 being eminent, we need to rectify this situation.
>
> First, I am going to make javassist the default bytecode provider
> starting with Hibernate 3.3 (http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-2506
> ).
>
> Next, we need to decide what to do with CGLIB moving forward.  This
> seems to be a dead project at this point.  From my recollection, the
> source control for CGLIB does in fact have support for ASM 3.x; so
> one option would be to do a build of it from HEAD.  However, none of
> us are really bytecode gurus, so thats probably not the best
> option.  The only other option I see is to simply deprecate the
> integration for CGLIB and recommend against its use.  Any other
> options we should explore here?

> Steve Ebersole
>
> Project Lead
> http://hibernate.org