[hibernate-dev] CharacterTypeMapping within Oracle10gDialect

Chris Bredesen cbredesen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 10:55:16 EST 2008

A CLOB is an entirely different animal than a text/char/varchar column.
  I'd be somewhat surprised to find out that my Types.VARCHAR got turned
into a LOB, personally - even if they are not recommended on Oracle.  Of
course you can extend the Dialect in any way you see fit, or just map
your property as a CLOB from the get go.  Not that I'm not a fan of
CLOBs, I am; it's just that VARCHAR conceptually maps better to a long
than to a CLOB.

My 2 cents :)