[hibernate-dev] @FullTextFilterDef cache

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Sep 5 07:43:38 EDT 2008

I am thinking about caching and filters.
In 3.0, we cache instances of Filter by using
@FullTextFilterDef.cache=true
In 3.1, we still can cache instances of Filter using
@FullTextFilterDef(cache=true, cacheBitResult= CacheBitResults.NO)
an we can cache BitSet results by using
@FullTextFilterDef(cache=true) //, cacheBitResult=
CacheBitResults.AUTOMATIC

I think we introduced cacheBitResult to keep @FullTextFilterDef
backward compatible. But reality is that this feature is not backward
compatible:
  - a new layer of caching is automatically added if you keep the
annotation as in 3.0. It probably won't do too much harm but add an
unnecessary indirection

Fundamentally, it seems that the annotation should be
@FullTextFilterDef(cache=FilterCacheMode.RESULTS)
@FullTextFilterDef(cache=FilterCacheMode.FILTER_INSTANCE)
@FullTextFilterDef(cache=FilterCacheMode.NO)

This will force a change from 3.0 apps to 3.1 apps but it's much
clearer.
I can't seem to find a compelling reason to have instance caching and
result caching configurable independently.

WDYT?

--
Emmanuel Bernard
http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Emmanuel | http://blog.emmanuelbernard.com