[hibernate-dev] Re: HSEARCH-178

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Tue Apr 14 07:51:43 EDT 2009

On  Apr 14, 2009, at 13:03, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> I've 2 inline answers:
>
> 2009/4/14 Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>:
>> Read inline
>>
>> On  Apr 13, 2009, at 17:22, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>>
>>> After our chat about the topic I thought that I only needed some
>>> minor
>>> changes,
>>> was quite wrong.
>>>
>>> I moved the flush listener to the usual
>>> FullTextIndexEventListener, using
>>> delegation at first as we had agreed. This got me into troubles with
>>> the Serialization test of the FullTextEntityManager, I had to adapt
>>> EventSourceTransactionContext changing a field to transient and
>>> having the code manage the case in which the values are lost by
>>> deserialization.
>>> After this I removed the delegation moving the code to the
>>> FullTextIndexEventListener
>>> which resulted in simpler code.
>>>
>>> You made me think about what was happening in case of an error
>>> during
>>> the flush processing in the default listener, so I've replaced the
>>> Map
>>> with a combination
>>> of non-static ThreadLocal with a weak reference to the flushing
>>> Session,
>>> which is checked for == identity to make sure the synch is
>>> relevant to
>>> the same session,
>>> in case of a previously not cleaned-up flush by the same Thread
>>> (as in
>>> a Map, but I only need
>>> the last stored value for the current session, and only for the same
>>> thread).
>>
>> I think I don't like the ThreadLocal approach. What is your
>> reasoning for
>> using a thread local variable? What would make it less compelling
>> if we were
>> not using a TL?
>
> the two event listeners "on-post-somethingchanged" and "flush" are
> executed
> one after the other right away, atomically from a out-of-hibernate-
> search point
> of view. In the test code if I put breakpoints in both the "register
> synch" routing
> and "find the synch from the flushlistener" thay both happen only when
> the client code is asking to flush.
> This made me think the two routines are always being called by the
> same thread,
> and there is no chance to begin doing something else between the
> first operation
> and the second operation: it's not possible that, for example, the
> Session is
> passivated or suspendend (thinking about long running conversations).
> The only way to stop the second to happen is having
> an exception in the default hibernate flush listener: that's the
> reason for the weak
> reference to Session.
> These thoughts leaded me to think that a concurrent map is overkill,
> especially
> [...]

I looked that the TL impl in Java SE and they are hosted on a per
Thread object basis, so I guess there is no concurrency lock here. So
it all boils down to which is faster:
  - a concurrent map look up access
  - getting the current Thread object + a map lookup (internal TL
variable impl)

Up to you. I have the tendency to limit my TL use as it has caused
issues in the past.
Remember this part of the code is used only as a workaround for people
misconfiguring HSearch so I am not too fussed about the perf.