[hibernate-dev] want to join hibernate development community

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 12:51:26 EDT 2009

> i never thought hibernate was simple, my problem is that i don't see
> how anyone outside jboss personal can actually create fixes (patches
> or commits) without internal overview of hibernate. and jumping head
> first is actually what a new developer in jboss would need to do, even
> if he did had prior usage of hibernate. so either there  are white
> papers kept in jboss for their use only , or the information is pass
> down orally by a senior developer.
There are no internal secret jboss documents - all the information is
public. Many people are creating patches to hibernate in various areas
by simply reading the code that is having a problem and fix it - of
course for more detailed hardcore bugs more info is needed, but no
written documentation would help you there - you would still need to
look at the code to learn it.

btw. I did not work for JBoss when I started contribute to Hibernate,
and there are non-JBoss committers today too - the right to commit is
earned by showing skill and drive; not by getting hired.

> to give an example, we have a developer with a 7 year experience in
> java j2ee, working on an undocumented homegrown framework with no
> internal overview documentation, and only oral info passed from
> previous developer, and that's not nearly enough as fixes usually
> break something else.
Look at the unittests, if you break them you know you messed up - if
they pass the chance of you having messed up is less ;)

/max