[hibernate-dev] Search: Dynamic Document boosting

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 10:47:56 EDT 2009

Hello,
I'm currently needing to be able to define a per-entity INSTANCE
different Boost, not just the type.

Currently I could obtain this functionality by using a custom
classbridge, but the entity is quite complex and building my own
classbridge I will have to map all fields myself loosing the
flexibility of annotations for the current type and
all @IndexedEmbedded.

I'd like to add a new parameter to @Boost; currently it has a float
mandatory value,
I'd like to add a new parameter:

Class<BoostScorer> impl();

where BoostScorer is an interface having something like

public float score(Object value);

The annotation would default to an implementation returning constant 1.0f.

This would have an interaction with the existing "value" parameter:
IMHO they should
multiply each other, so I'd change the existing value to also have a
default of 1.0f
and people might want to change one or both values.

Setting both values might be useful to reuse the same impl on
different types/fields
and still be able to statically scale the result from the
score(Object) function, without having to
rewrite a new implementation.

What do you think?