[hibernate-dev] [infinispan-dev] [ISPN-6] (Infinispan cache provider for Hibernate) Remaining TODOs, notes and questions

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 12:40:54 EDT 2009

Galder Zamarreno wrote:

> On 08/04/2009 06:23 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> Got distracted and hit send early last time...
>>
>> Brian Stansberry wrote:

>> In the JBC2 integration, the JBC Region is pretty important, beyond
>> eviction. There are things like clear operations that are scoped to the
>> Region (e.g. to support invalidating all entities of a given type out of
>> the cache). The Infinispan integration will have the same use cases, and
>> AIUI a cache is the semi-analogue to a JBC Region, so I think you need a
>> cache per entity type.
>
> + 1
>

>> Also, unless there's a really good reason not too, let's try to keep
>> things logically the same between the Infinispan and JBC integrations.
>> Makes maintenance much easier.
>
> Assuming that org.hibernate.test.cache.infinispan.functional.Item.items
> is a Collection belonging to
> org.hibernate.test.cache.infinispan.functional.Item, do you agree on
> keeping each in a separate cache?

Yes. With JBC they are separate Regions. We need the ability to scope
things like clear commands to the data hibernate is working with, and an
entity and its associated collections are separate things to hibernate.

>>> Yeah, I've never found a good use case for using different configs for
>>> the two. Perhaps eviction

>>> The hibernate.cache.infinispan.cfg.query and
>>> hibernate.cache.infinispan.cfg.timestamps properties aren't used to
>>> name the caches. They specify what config to use.

> No, we haven't lost it at all. You can define a cache with specific
> eviction settings and give it as name the FQCN of the entity and that's
> done.

How is this configured by the end user? I mean the mapping from the
entity type to the cache config name. Is something like what I described
below implemented already?

> The problem though is that for each Collection this entity has, you'd
> need a separate cache instance since at the moment, an entity's
> collection is stored in a separate cache.
>
> So, if Person has several Address instances, Person will be one cache
> instance and his/hers addresses would be stored in a different cache
> instance.

True. Although this is only an issue if you wanted separate eviction.
Hibernate allows you to specify a region name for any cachable item
(except timestamps).  The use of FQCN is just a default for people who
don't want to configure things.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering