[hibernate-dev] moving Hibernate Search to Lucene 2.9

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Dec 14 08:58:39 EST 2009

On 14 déc. 2009, at 13:59, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> You'll find a better explanation in the papers in your dropbox; in
> short: a date is split in multiple fields, like year-month-day (it's
> doing better actually, I'm keeping it simple) and so the number of
> terms is reduced, making a rangequerey not blow up on a tooManyClauses
> and  it also appears to perform better. In this case one field is
> actually indexed as more fields. The new RangeQuery is smart enough to
> rewrite himself to a correct boolean query considering the correct
> fields.
>
> As there are many changes already in 3.2 I'm fine moving these
> improvements further, even if solving the RangeQuery problem is very
> cool. That's why is was referring to "the old broken strategy": it's
> not really broken but the new one spares some trouble as you can
> forget about the tooManyClouses issue (not sure if that is a good
> thing).
> WDYT?

I am ok with the backward compatibility changes as long as it's an all or nothing.
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HSEARCH-415
lists a few backward compatible changes:
 - payload use for id / class
 - NumericField and NumericRangeQuery

Any other? Please update the original root issue with this.

With this list we will choose wether move that to 3.3 or incorporate that on 3.2. But I am not too hopeful. The Query DSL for example has seen no progress in a month and I think that this is providing more value.