[hibernate-dev] Fwd: Re: No TransactionManagerLookup configured (in JTA environment, use of read-write or transactional second-level cache is not recommended)

Galder Zamarreno galder at jboss.org
Tue Dec 15 12:18:46 EST 2009

On 12/14/2009 01:59 PM, Guenther Demetz wrote:
> Hi hibernate developers,
>
> Since various hibernate releases (3.2, 3.3 , 3.5beta2) I'm still
> wondering about following warning when using hibernate with
> JDBCTransactionFactory (= without JTA integration):
>
> TransactionManagerLookupFactory:80 - No TransactionManagerLookup
> configured (in JTA environment, use of read-write or transactional
> second-level cache is not recommended)
>
> 1. According documentation configuration of a TransactionManagerLookup
> is (only) required when using JTA environment, so why this warning?

No idea....

> 2. Why is there a hint on how to use JTA environment, just using
> hibernate without JTA?

No idea...

> 3. "transactional" concurrency strategy is supported by JBossCache and
> Infinispan and both require integration with JTA,
>       so why should transactional second-level cache not be recommended ?!

Hmmm, the warning message looks rather confusing IMO. From what I
understand, it is, at least, trying to say that using a transactional
cache strategy when you haven't configured transaction manager lookup
class is not recommended. Not sure why it also refers to read-write. I
don't know that strategy that well.