[hibernate-dev] Re: New stuff with HS

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu Jun 11 11:23:23 EDT 2009

hey

On  Jun 11, 2009, at 09:52, Navin Surtani wrote:

> Heya guys,
>
> Hope all's going well with you ...
>
> Was speaking to Manik about what needs to be done with Infinispan -
> not been doing any work on this for a while since I've  had exams
> which are done now - and he was just telling me that you guys are
> working on abstracting HS from Core?

hum no, it's done, that's the work you have done basically.
Something can likely be done to abstract some of the query engine but
I'm not sure how much. This needs ot be experimented.

> Emmanuel: Manik told me that you guys spoke about this and that you
> both seem to want to use Lucene for Infinispan. I was hoping to have
> an idea about what you guys spoke about and also figure out how we
> should implement this.

The idea is to get the infinispan data indexed in Lucene and stored...
well in Lucene as well. HSearch would be the query engine of Infinispan.
One question was whether or not create a JPA-QL / JPA2 Criteria API
layer on top of Lucene queries at least for non join or simple join
queries. It's an orthogonal project though.

The idea was to index the local data (node-wise). We can call each
node to get a global result (we will need to adjust Hibernate Search
in this area as we only do local IndexReaders today but AFAIK that's
doable).

The hard problem to crack is how Hibernate Search will deduplicate the
results. Infinispan does partly duplicate data, hence the query will
return the same data several times.

> For the core changes in the query interface I picked out these 3
> main changes in order of importance: -
>
> 1 - What's new with Hibernate Search and it's backend. Also how we
> can work it into Infinispan. I imagine we take a similar plan of
> attack as we did with JBCS.

Not much that will impact you. We have a new backend that is JGroups
based. sow e have lucene, JMs and JGroups now.

> 2 - Use of interceptors within Infinispan as opposed to listeners
> with JBCS.

not sure what's the fundamental difference so OK :)

> 3 - Editions within the query/searchable module of Infinispan that
> take into account the new API.

yes

> So if you guys could tell me what's new, or tell me where to go look
> for stuff (blogs, wikis etc) that would be great.

One thing we are working on is massive indexing. Sanne can talk more
about that but I frankly don't think that will impact infinispan in
the near term.
The rest was under the hood optimizations and some cool new higher
level features.

> In terms of what's new, do you guys have any major changes to
> backend/API?

nope but I think that would be a good time to:
  - think about sharing some of the search infrastructure
(FullTextQueryImpl has some reusable stuffs likely)
  - rethink the query API after hearing feedback from users. (I was
not 100% happy with the JBCS API)