[hibernate-dev] HHH 869 (Collections of value type in the Criteria API).

David Mansfield hibernate at dm.cobite.com
Wed Jun 17 09:20:54 EDT 2009

[previously sent out from wrong account and it didn't make the list]

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 21:34 -0500, Steve Ebersole wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 18:18 -0700, Daniel Pitts wrote:
>
> > That makes sense.  If I submit a patch that basically refactors the CQT
> > class, what might be considered when deciding on inclusion?
> You mean is regards to the "cleanup"?  Well, whether it makes sense
> AFAIAC.
>
> > I mean the propertyNames, propertyTypes, etc.. Are all empty arrays.
> > Maybe I've configured something incorrectly.
> That would be my guess.  What does the mapping look like?
>

> > > Is this a criterion/restriction you are trying to apply?
> > It can be, but it also may be a Projection.  I'm hoping that I can stick
> > to modifying only the CriteriaQueryTranslator class, but if I need to
> > dive deeper, then so be it.
> Not sure yet.

I have already completed this and submitted it many times to the list.
I've implemented query of collection-of-value and
collection-of-component.  The code is working perfectly and passes the
test suite and has been in production here for many months.

I kinda got tired of submitting it to the list, but I'll attach my
latest code.  I'd be really happy to split this into tiny pieces and
submit or whatever if there would be a commitment by the maintainers to
accept and apply this.

This patch has the following problems which DO need to be fixed before
being incorporated upstream (besides the splitting into many pieces,
some of which are straight bug fixes or separate enhancements):
  * too much debugging code when enabled
  * unfinished ability to create Criteria object on component (currently
criteria needs to be on owning entity and property should have a '.')

I'd really, really love for this to make it into Hibernate, and I'll do
whatever it takes, as long as I don't work in vain.

In addition to the collection-of-value and collection-of-component the
following enhancements/fixes are included also:

* give appropriate error message if Criteria is created on a component
(tried to implement this instead, but it's a but too hard and not really
necessary)

* fix bug when extra "," is put on end of select list in very rare
circumstances (joinable.selectFragment(..) can return empty - maybe in
the case of a AbstrsactCollectionPersister.. not sure)

* fix "bugs" (maybe introduced by me) in MessageHelper where
Serializable id's are cast as String's.  not sure how it happens but it
only happens when enabling DEBUG in certain packages.  just use
toString() wherever it occured (seems like it's using the identifier's
type, but this breaks when using a composite key maybe)

Thanks,
David