[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Planning

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Mon Mar 23 06:10:55 EDT 2009

Hi there,

I would like to start a discussion around a few 'management' questions.

1. What shall we do with commons-annotations? commons-annotations became a
    module of Core (core/trunk/commons-annotations) when we moved
Annotations
    and EntityManager into Core. Emmanuel, raised the question whether it
should
    be really in Core or whether we should keep it seperate as independed
library.
    I could also imagine to just move it back into Annotations itself. I
don't
    think any other project really denpends on it (any project using
commons-annotations
    uses also annotations). This would mean one less module/project to
manage.

2. Some changes to Hibernate Search require also changes to
Annotations/EntityManager.
    This raises the question on how we handle releases now that these
modules are part
    of the Core. Will we still do separate releases for these modules or
are we from now on
    just doing 'full' Hibernate releases (meaning we always release Core
with all its modules)?
    This question is especially interesting since we soon will start with
JPA 2 development.

3. Who is handling releases? So far Steve was basically driving the Core
releases, whereas Emmanuel
    and I where looking after EntityManager, Annotations and Search. How
shall we do it now?

4. What is the current status on Hibernate 3.5? Is there already a
(interim) release planned?

It would be great to get some feedback and maybe we should at some stage
have a chat.

--Hardy