[hibernate-dev] Some minor improvements to Hibernate Search

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Fri Oct 23 13:18:17 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:47:48 +0200, Amin Mohammed-Coleman
<aminmc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been looking at the Hibernate Search codebase and I am very keen
> to help out.

Great. Help is always welcome :)

> 1) Remove cyclic reference in JmsBackEndQueueProcessor and
> JmsBackEndQueueProcessorFactory.  It seems as though the factory creates
> processor and the processor depends on the factory.  The processor only
> needs the queueConnection factory and jms queue which I think should be
> passed to the processor instead of passing the factory.  The object being
> created should not know about the factory.

I haven't really looked at the code yet, but what you say seems reasonable.
Why do you not create a Jira issue in
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HSEARCH
and provide a patch for this?

> 2) Create a convienence method (not sure where) that enables a user to
> get
> the lucene document using either the fulltextsession.  So for example the
> method would loook something like:
>    fullTextSession.getDocument(Class<?> clazz, Serializable id);
>    Under the hood it would delegate the work to the directory providers
> and close the index readers.

I can see how this could be useful. What do the others think?

> 3) Provide integration with GigaSpaces which I had started but not
> completed.

I guess this relates to this forum thread -
https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=990867
It seems you even have already an implementation :) I am just wondering
whether this
directory implementation is also testable without having a running
Gigaspace instance?
Would this new implementation introduce additional dependencies?

> 4) Integration with Spring and maybe Spring Integration.

Hmm, that sort of thing seems to belong to the Spring side. At least in my
eyes.

--Hardy