[hibernate-dev] [infinispan-dev] Benchmarking 2nd level cache providers?

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Tue Sep 1 12:54:24 EDT 2009

On 08/26/2009 05:48 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:
> Can't we write a plugin for the CacheBenchmark fwk?

We could potentially do so but we'd be missing loads of things and we'd
have to spend a fair bit of time replicating the way Hibernate uses the
cache which is not straightforward by any means. Take in account as well
that there're several caches and cache usages involved here: entity,
collection, query and timestamps and each has a different usage pattern.
Bottom line: I don't think trying to emulate this is worth the effort.

What is needed here is a Hibernate/JPA load/perf test environment where
the most common Hibernate usage patterns are exercised and then you swap
2nd level cache providers. This is really what counts to the users: how
quickly I can persist N entities, how quick I can read N times an entity
that I've just persisted, how fast I can execute same query N
times...etc, these are the use cases where the cache provider must show off.

I haven't heard anything from the HB team wrt to this, so I assume they
don't have anything like this.

> On Aug 19, 2009, at 1:14 PM, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> While talking to Manik online, the topic of 2nd level cache benchmarking
>> came up and was wondering if there's a way to benchmark different 2nd
>> level cache providers in Hibernate?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño