[hibernate-dev] [infinispan-dev] [HSearch] DSL for Lucene queries (was: Re: Query module new API and configurations)

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu Sep 3 17:36:51 EDT 2009

On 28 août 09, at 07:54, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Sure I like it! I'm in the swamp of old mails, so I give you my first
> impression only:
> Even if it's fluent it's not (yet) intuitive to me which methods I
> should call;
>
> Query luceneQuery =
> qb.must(Occurs.MUST)
>    .add(
>        qb.boolean(Occurs.Should)
>            .add( qb.term("city",
> "Atlanta").boostedTo(4).createQuery() )
>            .add( qb.term("address1",
> "Peachtree").fuzzy().createQuery() )
>    )
>    .add(
>        qb.from("movingDate",
> "200604").to("201201").exclusive().createQuery()
>    )
>    .createQuery();
>
> I guess there is a typo? As "must(MUST)" is a bit confusing to me.

yep typo.

> why not
>
> qb.booleanQuery()
>   .Must( qb.otherQuery(...).. )
>   .Should( qb.secondQuery(..).. )
>   .build();

good idea,

.must()
   .add( qb.from().to() )
   .add( ... )
.must().not()
.should()

> and
> qb.termQuery("city", "Atlanta").boostedTo(4).createQuery())
> or even overloading
> qb.termQuery("city", "Atlanta").createQuery())
> with
> qb.termQuery("city", "Atlanta", 4f).createQuery())
> is not as readable as "boostedTo" method but more immediate;
> intelligent IDEs should propose the options to devs while typing, even
> guessing the parameter name and making it's meaning self-evident.

No I find it hard and confusing even in IntelliJ IDEA to use
overloaded methods and a set of parameters.
The idea behing boostedTo() is to mimick named parameters.

Actually ideally we would want  term().on("city").matches("Atlanta"),
WDYT?
Or even qb.on("city").matches("atlanta")

which could also be used to unify range queries and multi term queries
qb.on("date").from("2009").to("2010")
qb.on("a").on("b").matches("word")

> qb.rangeQuery could be either
>   rangeQuery("field", "fromX", "toY")
> or
>   rangeQuery("field").from("x").to("y")
> so why are you choosing ("field","from").to("to") ?

I think
range("field").from("x").to("y")
or
on("field").from("x").to("y")
are better, I've move to range and if we decide on is better, I will
move.

> Thinking about the RangeQuery on dates, it would be cool to accept any
> type for which we have Bridges, like accepting Date type or even a
> user-defined FieldBridge together with an Object.

That would be cool but realistically we need to accept Object unless
somehow we can convey the "expected" type(s) of a field bridge using
generics or something. SOmebody has an idea on how the API would look
like?
probably something like
<T> on(String field, Class<T>) ...

on("field", Date.class).from(new Date()).

> I like the Analyzer choices, it would be very cool if we could by
> default guess the correct one from the searched-for entity types.

Define guessing. Guessing the targeted entity? How?

> We could even consider a Query-By-Example query builder, reading
> indexed fields from an instance of an indexed type, or something like
> HSEARCH-119 proposal (for termvectors similatory).

+1 but let's start (not so) modest :)