[hibernate-dev] trunk project layout

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Fri Sep 11 08:38:23 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am just wondering if you could elaborate what exactly the problem with
the release.
I think so far you are the only one who actually did a release for Core
using the current setup.

Hibernate Search and Validator also use the maven release plugin and there
is works just fine.
Admittedly the project structures are much simpler there.

Since you seem most annoyed about the release plugin, couldn't we just
extend it or write our own?
You already put so much work into custom maven plugins, what's the
difference with the release plugin?

Picking up on Max's comment - the parent directory for the master pom is
really not needed anymore.
I think pretty much all IDE can handle now a proper maven module setup.

Last but not least, regarding your problem of building only sub modules
 from the command line.
I personally build always from the top level directory. If I want to build
a single submodule I
use the '--project' command line options. I also found somewhere a bash
completion script for maven
(if someone is interested I can post it here) so I can just type 'mvn
--project' and expand the
sub modules by using the tab key. This approach served me well in
Validator the last few month.

--Hardy