[hibernate-dev] trunk project layout

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Sep 11 16:52:54 EDT 2009

Its not the release per-se alone.  These are not all directly related so
its hard to explain...

I outlined in the other email to max about checking out and needing to
immediately install everything.  Granted, it depends on exactly what you
want to do, but that's the basic requirement; for example, you cannot
package your application which has inter-module dependencies where one
module *includes* the dependency in itself (say and ear or war) like we
have in the tutorials for example.

Unfortunately the full Hibernate build takes quite some time because it
also builds all the release artifacts (docs, etc) too.  Thats why I was
thinking that if I could isolate the "actual code" we would then be able
to just simply run a full install on that if needed.  Really, I think
the correct solution (maven aside) is to isolate all the release stuff
into a single place that gets executed only on (1) performing a release
or (2) performing those tasks explicitly.  Now, can that be fitted into
Maven?  dunno...

The release plugin is basically useless imo at least for our needs.
Personally I'd much rather just perform all the steps that the release
plugin does separately.  The issue here is managing the versions.

--
Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
Hibernate.org