[hibernate-dev] Weekly meeting (4/19)

Andersen Max max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 20 09:28:40 EDT 2010

Hi,

Noticed this part:

[10:21] <sebersole> the problem with osgi is as soon as you ask anyone hat that means they have zero clue
[10:22] <sebersole> "ok you want 'osgi support', how do i do that?  what does that mean"
[10:22] <sebersole> and then silence...
[10:22] <sebersole> thats been my experience at any rate

So my mails about the subject must have been lost or I was not being clear on the subject ;)

"Hibernate osgi support" for me means: Provide an option to use the classloader of the calling client/SessionFactory creator instead of

That would allow Hibernate to load entities from osgi bundles it does not know about via osgi manifest dependencies.

This possibly also requires adding a set of osgi headers to the manifest but I don't even think we need to go there (nor can we easily do that because not
all dependencies we go are available as osgi bundles)

One way to test this is if you can make http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/rt/org.eclipse.persistence/trunk/examples/org.eclipse.persistence.example.jpa.rcp.comics/
run with Hibernate jars instead of EclipseLink jars.

EclipseLink guys documented some of their work on this here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/OSGi
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/OSGi_Proof_of_Concept
(and others: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Special:Search?search=eclipselink+osgi&go=Go)

The guys working on EnterpriseOSGI would also have to solve this somehow so maybe it is
outlined in that area too - I haven't looked deep enough in that yet.

/max