[hibernate-dev] On Hibernate Search and non Public API use of Core and other SNAPSHOT concerns

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Aug 20 08:17:55 EDT 2010

First, as I said in the chat we really have no way currently to
differentiate classes we intended for user consumption and those we
dont.  We have the broad concepts of "API", "SPI" and "internal".  And

BTW, every single class in the Hibernate codebase is referenced in the
javadoc; so that's a bit of a strawman argument.  Clearly we dont want
users directly using say TwoPhaseLoad
( http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/3.6/javadocs/index.html?org/hibernate/engine/TwoPhaseLoad.html ) nor EntityInsertAction ( http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/3.6/javadocs/index.html?org/hibernate/action/EntityInsertAction.html )
nor ...

We *just* added reference to SoftLimitMRUCache in Environment javadocs
(as in 3.6.0.Beta3).  So thats hardly an argument as to why this was
used in search considering that code was added waaaay before
3.6.0.Beta3 ;)

Core does regularly publish SNAPSHOTs.  Once a day in fact (provided
something has changed).

Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
http://hibernate.org