[hibernate-dev] Git pull workflow and Jira

Scheper, Erik-Berndt erik-berndt.scheper at sogeti.nl
Thu Dec 9 02:13:34 EST 2010

Hi,

Yesterday, I've been looking into HHH-5750 and I found it very convenient that I could look back in Git and find that the original code was introduced for issue HHH-3871 and later modified for issue HHH-4791.
This gave me a bit of background and actually made me doubt if the proposed fix for HHH-5750 might not actually reintroduce the original issue (I haven't figured that out yet, if anyone could help out there, that would be great!)

And after this happy experience, I'm now getting a bit worried that this connection between Jira and Git might be lost by the Git pull workflow. Let me explain this:

For example this morning I noticed that https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-core/pull/22 has been merged into branch 3.6 which fixes HHH-5756. This merge has introduced the following commits into the 3.6 branch (again, it's not about the changes itself, but about the workflow):

Merge branch '3.6' of https://github.com/rsvato/hibernate-core into 3.6
commit  0168ffa83cc8eac88453

Moved hbm.xml -> annotations.
commit  350801542c20cfc0fd0a

Tests are slightly changed to do more work
commit  e1f8b5e5f2cb107e3277

[#HHH-5756] Ignore collection changes if no revision on collection change is set
commit  3091bbda15b24a0bdf33

Test for creating revision on collection change
commit  387faed8556ca86d8ad4

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think I would ever link a commit such as 'Moved hbm.xml -> annotations' to jira issue HHH-5756. And I find it hard to believe that Jira or fisheye would link it the other way around. From a maintenance point of view, this looks like nightmare to me.

Now, I'm not sure what the right way would be to fix this. The easiest would probably be to squash the pull request into a single commit, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Regards,

Erik-Berndt Scheper

Disclaimer:
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Sogeti Nederland B.V. or its Group members. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.