[hibernate-dev] Hibernate.org

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Feb 23 12:07:55 EST 2010

On 02/23/2010 08:43 AM, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:
> I think content wise the current sub project approach will work. Looking
> at search.hibernate.org and validator.hibernate.org one can see that
> there is
> not so much content for this content pages. The bulk of information is
> really in
> the wiki which is a different thing (Clearspace). Btw, what's going to
> happen
> with the domains search.hibernate.org and validator.hibernate.org? Will
> they forward
> to the corresponding sub project page on JBoss.org?
Well the "sub domains" are apprently not really sub domains at all.
They are simple redirects.  So for example, http://core.hibernate.org
simply directs the browser to https://www.hibernate.org/344.html ;
https://annotations.hibernate.org/ directs to
https://www.hibernate.org/397.html ; etc.  The point though is that
these "sub domains" really just identify single information pages, one
per "sub domain".  And yes redirects from the old urls to the new
targets will all be handled.

This was the gist of my question below.  Is this what we want to keep?
For the sub-projects, is a single sub-page enough?  Again this is no
different than what we have today.

Here is an example of incorporating sub-projects in this infrastructure:
http://jboss.org/gatein
http://jboss.org/gatein/portletcontainer.html

The fact that the banner goes away between the 2 is coincidental.  We
can set it up either way.  And we can have each sub-project define its
own nav items (overview/pages, download, community, etc).  The real
question becomes when or whether we want these sub-projects accessible
from the main site navigation.

> Will EM and Annotations still be listed as sub projects though. I guess
> from a current
> point of view we could combine them into Core. Not sure whether we have
> to consider
> long time users though who might be looking for these projects.
I planned on not having them as separate sub-projects.  The main page
has an announcement about them (and envers) being combined into the main
project.

> We also have to consider the new Static Metamodel Generator. Currently
> it does not have its
> own project page. Will we just add it to Core or will it be its own
> standalone
> sub project?
> Maybe we should even consider moving the actual source code into a maven
> module. If I remember
> right the main issue stopping us from doing so were build problems, right?
No idea.

> Shards I know nothing about. I am not even sure who does. Seems the best
> we can do there
> is to move the current content from shards.hibernate.org.
Yep, which will be the default for anything I don't hear about.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org