[hibernate-dev] Collaborative Development for Hibernate

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Jan 12 21:15:50 EST 2010

Hey eike this sounds really interesting.  Pair programming is an incredible development tool that in my exerience is not generally used on OSS dev due to developers not being located close together.

We have been discussing using Crucible for Hibernate development for exactly alot of the points you list.

Unfortunately I personally do not use eclipe so I myself am not a good fit for this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.orgEike Starkmann wrote:

Hi,

I am working in the Institute of Computer Science at the Free University

of Berlin where we are creating ways to improve the process of writing

software, especially for Free/Open Source Software developers.

Our institute develops Saros, an open source Eclipse plug-in that allows

two or more developers to work together in real-time developing code,

training newcomers, or performing peer reviews.

It is similar to Gobby, SubEthaEdit or Google Docs but focuses on

programming in Eclipse.

As part of my masters thesis I would like to assess how useful Saros is

when developing Free/Open Source Software. I already was in contact with

other projects and got some good response.

It is believed that Saros is particularly well suited to the following

development scenarios:

* an arbitrary number of developers working together over a network on a

common project

* distributed pair programming, with an author and an observer who are

geographically dispersed

* transferring knowledge between developers and introducing new people

to the project

* joint code reviews

* collaborative development where developers are aware of each other and

wish to switch easily between working together or independently

If you are interested, I would offer you to join Hibernate for a while

to give you support while working with Saros. What do you think?

Kind regards, Eike Starkmann

For more information:

Website: https://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/w/SE/DPP

Update Site: http://dpp.sf.net/update

Saros @ SF: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpp/

Programming Languages Supported by Saros :

https://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/w/SE/DPPCompatiblePlugin

--

Eike Starkmann

This message is part of my Master thesis research. Feel free to contact

my advisors in case of inappropriate behavior on my side:

christopher.oezbek at fu-berlin.de and stephan.salinger at fu-berlin.de

hibernate-dev at lists.jboss.org