[hibernate-dev] missing reference documentation for Hibernate Search beta

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Fri Mar 5 06:46:36 EST 2010

As Emmanuel mentioned, we are currently only publishing the docs for GA
releases.
We used to have also the beta docs online, but stopped that due to the way
the
different docs would get indexed by Google.

I agree with Sanne that we should upload the documentation for the beta
releases.
http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/project/version works fine with me. Btw,
Lucene also
publishes multiple versions of their docs. Mind you, with Lucene I had
actually cases
were I needed some extra clicks and searching to get to the right version
of the docs.

One idea to solve the indexing problem would be to work with robots.txt.
We could just
disallow all beta documentations from indexing. This way only the latest
GA release would
be "searchable". For the beta docs we just provide some links from
search.hibernate.org.
There is already a robots file under http://www.jboss.org/robots.txt, but
I am not sure how
feasible it is with our current processes to get this file changed.
Unfortunately, robots.txt
does not allow wildcards or regular expressions, so we would have to
explicitly exclude
the versions we don't want to have indexed.

Another problem with the documentation was that
https://www.hibernate.org/5.html is complicated
enough even without adding links to beta release docs. The good news is
that with the new
site (out soon hopefully) we will have a dedicated documentation page for
Search where it would
be much easier to provide some additional links.

Regarding automated doc uploads - the first step here would be to actually
get developer
access to http://docs.jboss.org via ssh or similar. Unfortunately, that's
not in place yet.

--Hardy