[hibernate-dev] Modularization of Search

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Tue Mar 16 12:20:10 EDT 2010

Hi,

I started on the modularization of Search (HSEARCH-468) and would like to
get some feedback.
So far all I've done is to create a parent pom and push the main code into
the hibernate-search module.

The layout is now:

pom.xml                     (parent)
/hibernate-search           (the main code including tests)
/hibernate-search-archetype (simple maven project used to generate a Maven
Search archetype)

This setup does not offer yet much new to the original setup, but at least
we could now create
a new submodule for the infinispan stuff.

What I am trying to figure out now is how much further I should go with
the current setup.
We were talking about splitting out a module for test utilites
(hibernate-search-testing),
but it turns out that some of the testing utility classes depend on util
classes form the
main source tree. We could try to duplicate some of the classes into the
hibernate-search-testing
module (ugly) or we could do what core does and split even the actual
tests out into
maven module - hibernate-search-testsuite. This would leave us with

/hibernate-search
/hibernate-search-testing
/hibernate-search-testsuite

WDYT? Also which classes are we really interested in publishing in
hibernate-search-testing?

To further complicate things we have this two profiles (with-optional-jars
and without-optional-jars)
in hibernate-search. The main reason for this setup is to allow to run
surefire twice, once w/
and once w/o the optional jars. The setup is really complicated and I
would like to get rid of it.
The obvious thing to do would be to have to testsuite problems, but I am
afraid of module 'explosion'
here. Any other suggestions?

--Hardy