[hibernate-dev] Modularization of Search

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Wed Mar 17 11:38:54 EDT 2010

Regarding the test util module (hibernate-search-testing). If we are
planning to split out
the different clustering parts (or for any other later module) we probably
want to
have all the test base classes in hibernate-search-testing as well (eg
SearchTestCase).
Obviously SearchTestCase depends heavily on core Search classes and an
additional
hibernate-search-util is not going to cut it. If we go the full monty we
would need
to break out all the test related utility/base classes into
hibernate-search-testing
and then move all tests into hibernate-search-testsuite. This is
effectively how Hibernate
Core is setup and it creates some consistency. I guess Steve had his
reasons after all to
go for the setup we have now ;-)

I don't think we have to be too worried about people not running the
tests, because they
are in another module. The setup works for Core. Besides, I am a big
sucker for consistency
and I like the idea that Search would mirror the Core setup. Thoughts?

Regarding the performance tests, I am not sure whether we need a separate
module for that.
The problem is now that these tests are excluded in the POM configuration.
I think we just
need a way to run them. Maybe a simple property 'mvn install
-Drun.performance.test=true'
We can then decide if the default should be true or false.

--Hardy