[hibernate-dev] website migration

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Mar 19 05:12:26 EDT 2010

On 19 mars 2010, at 06:32, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> Oops, one of my response got cut off...
>
>>> Todos? / remarks after seeing the site live:
>>> - I feel like Core should be a subproject like the other ones, ie have
>>> a generic welcome page but also a specialized page for core. Otherwise
>>> it's a bit confusing as we mix the notions of Hibernate the portfolio
>>> and Hibernate Core the ORM.
>> IMO that was a mistake we made
>
> IMO that was a mistake we made a long time ago.  Its not even
> "portfolio".  The issue is the difference in the notion of a community
> and projects.  We have one community and many projects that make up the
> community.  Like I said in the original email I think there should be:
> 1) project pages which house the basic info for each project (where do i
> get docs, download, etc).
> 2) community site

Yes but today's situation is like if JBoss AS was the top level project of all jboss.org projects and the jboss.org home page was pointing to AS docs,  AS release infos etc and had subproject links to drools and co.

In Hibernate there are two categories of projects.

The ones that gravitate around the core ORM and require it or are useful in its context alone:
 - (core)
 - shards
 - metamodel generator

The ones that can run without core or an ORM:
 - search
 - validator
 - (bean valiidation)

And of course there is tools which for some reason is always uncategorizable :)

Maybe we should differentiate them on the project pages