[hibernate-dev] IRC meeting (5/3)

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon May 3 14:23:59 EDT 2010

As a follow-up to this, we need to discuss how to handle "deprecation"
of now completely unsupported methods.

Lets take org.hibernate.Hibernate#entity as an example.  Given that
these types are now explicitly scoped to a SessionFactory and that the
exposed org.hibernate.Hibernate Type methods do not accept a
SessionFactory we need to decide what to do here.  We completely cannot
support these methods.  So we must decide between:
1) removal
2) deprecation

If we were to opt for deprecation, the method would end up looking
something like:
/**
 * DO NOT USE!
 * @deprecated Types are now scoped, use {@link xyz} instead.
 */
public static Type entity(String name) {
    throw new HibernateException( "Not supported" );
}

Which I wonder might be worse than removing the method altogether.

--
Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
http://hibernate.org