[hibernate-dev] Table and quoted names

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Oct 1 12:30:43 EDT 2010

>> Ok, saw it now.
>>
>> I'm eery to requiring databasemetadata access as part of the Table model since I (at least until now) have
>> been using them extensively without wanting to require a running db...(which is not a requirement today).
>
> I have to be honest that I fail to grasp when you would want to generate
> code for accessing a database without having access to that database for
> exactly information like this.
>
> Keep in mind that there exists a split here too that did not exist
> previously.  Namely the notion of (a) building a metamodel and (b)
> compiling* a metamodel.  You and I discussed this on IM.  "Compiling" is
> the process of taking the metamodel and making it specific for a
> particular database.
>
> * - not sure the best name for this process; open to suggestions

Yes, and I'm thinking in context of building a metamodel mainly.

For "compiling" I'm still interested in being able to do it in a way (possibly just by mocking out) that
database access is not a requirement since if i.e. I want to visualize or iterate the mappings
in eclipse requiring the database to be available will be a usability problem - i.e. the database
might not be available/up when you driving on a train but still would like to get (at least approximated) view
of the mappings.

/max