[hibernate-dev] Hibernate 4 and the hibernate3.jar file in release bundle

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sun Oct 10 10:33:39 EDT 2010

Basically this comes down to whether we want to continue to provide an uber-
jar of all Hibernate classes.

Currently we do this for the release bundles as hibernate3.jar

Do we want to continue this practice into 4.x?  If we are going to do it, then
I think we should be consistent and also provide the same through the Maven
repository.  So to me either:
1) Provide option for uber-jar both in release bundles and in JBoss Maven
repository (as separate artifactId)
2) Completely stop providing the uber-jar option.

Have also been thinking about whether it makes sense to provide "guidance" on
different base setups.  This is mostly unrelated to the discussion above, but
there is a bearing.  Mostly people want the uber-jar because they find it
easier then naming 3 jars to get hibernate+c3p0 up and running (for example).
But if we had a way for them to do this easier maybe it lessens the need for
the uber-jar even more.  Initially for "guidance" I was thinking ivy
configurations since I think ivy is available pretty ubiquitously (can't you
even use ivy from maven?); plus the fact that you can name custom
configurations and mix them together make it much more flexible and
simultaneously much less verbose than poms for this purpose.   So in their
projects, instead of depending on "hibernate" they could depend on the ivy
configuration "hiberate+c3p0".

--
Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
http://hibernate.org