[hibernate-dev] Gradle build problems

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Tue Oct 12 16:50:10 EDT 2010

Hi,

it seems that some people have problems building the latest trunk version
of Hibernate Core.
I was one of them and after figuring out where goes what in the new build
I found this:

Caused by: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Cannot change the setting
"MVCC" when the database is already open; SQL statement:
SET MVCC TRUE [90133-134]
         at
org.h2.message.DbException.getJdbcSQLException(DbException.java:316)
         at org.h2.message.DbException.get(DbException.java:167)
         at org.h2.message.DbException.get(DbException.java:144)
         at org.h2.command.dml.Set.update(Set.java:233)
         at org.h2.command.CommandContainer.update(CommandContainer.java:70)
         at org.h2.command.Command.executeUpdate(Command.java:198)
         at org.h2.engine.Engine.openSession(Engine.java:159)
         at org.h2.engine.Engine.getSession(Engine.java:120)
         at org.h2.engine.Session.createSession(Session.java:119)
         at
org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.connectEmbeddedOrServer(SessionRemote.java:237)
         at
org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.createSession(SessionRemote.java:215)
         at org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.<init>(JdbcConnection.java:111)
         at org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.<init>(JdbcConnection.java:95)
         at org.h2.Driver.connect(Driver.java:58)
         at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
         at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:154)
         at
org.hibernate.connection.DriverManagerConnectionProvider.getConnection(DriverManagerConnectionProvider.java:133)
         at
org.hibernate.jdbc.ConnectionManager.openConnection(ConnectionManager.java:446)

This led me to the file
hibernate-core/src/test/resources/hibernate.properties where I removed the
MVCC=TRUE from the connection url.
Now the tests passed. I am not sure yet why this option seems to make a
difference on some systems and not on others, but in case you are
having build problems as well try modifying the driver url (at least for
now).
This might be JDK/OS related, since so far t only affected me and Emmanuel
and we are both using Mac with the provided JDK 1.6.

In case you have any idea why this option makes a difference let us know.

--Hardy