[hibernate-dev] [HSearch] Upgrade to Lucene 3.0

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Sep 8 12:23:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 18:05 +0200, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> On 8 sept. 2010, at 10:35, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:
>
> > - So far I haven't renamed any package names. This has the advantage our
> > existing users don't have to change their code.
> >   Does it make sense to rename the packages?
>
> That's the big question to me. Feedback welcome. I could go either way.
> Pro: existing users don't have to change them
> Con:
>  - we steal Solr's package which could conflict with people using Solr + HSearch
>  - if we do a Solr integration one day (floating idea), we will have to do something in the area

The general approach I like is to deprecate[1] the existing
classes/interfaces and "gut them" into classes/interfaces in the new
package, having the originals extend the newly packaged ones.

ymmv

[1] I prefer marking the stuff as @Deprecated as well adding log
warnings, as appropriate, in their constructors to let users know.  This
lets users update/migrate at their "leisure" to an extent while still
being able to try out your latest/greatest.

--
Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
http://hibernate.org