[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search 3.5 or 4

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Apr 20 03:57:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:32:16 +0200, Emmanuel Bernard
<emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Do you see more task for 4?

I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the faceting.
Would be great to get some feedback from the community and improve from
there.

Another thing which is on my wish list for a long time is some sort of meta
data api, which allows me for example to find out which fields are
searchable.
This ties in w/ a potential change to the field bridge API.

> Since Hibernate Core 4 seems to be doing alright and that the time
> pressure will be strong to get Hibernate Search aligned, I propose to
> skip 3.5 entirely and focus on 4. We did not that that many new features
> planned anyways for 3.5, it was more a consolidation release.
>
> Even with skipping 3.5, the 4 release will be a lot of work. We should
> start early. Any objection or comment?

+1 to moving to Hibernate Search 4

> Changing contracts
> We have had a few contracts that we wanted to change to make way for
> future improvements:
>  - should a bridge know about the field it changes (make the
> optimization more efficient)

+1 Not only opens this the doors to some optimizations, it also is helps
the meta data api (see above)

> Use JBoss Logging
> I tend to think we should do this migration late in the game. WDYT?

No strong opinion on this. Deferring it for a while is fine for me.
Whenever we decide to do it thought it should be a done at once.

--Hardy