[hibernate-dev] Integrator and retrieving objects

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Apr 26 02:31:53 EDT 2011

2011/4/25 Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>:
> Just to circle back to this (because my memory is so short)..
>
> What did we ever decide about this, especially in regards to the *how*?
>
> As and example, lets look at Search.  Search wraps Session in a
> FullTextSession.  Search would register some handler with the
> SessionFactory that says it knows how to handle Session.as(
> FullTextSession.class ) calls.  But what exactly is this handler going
> to do?  Unless Search maintains some global Session instance ->
> FullTextSession instance...  Or are you thinking the registration
> happens per-Session?

The entry points for Search are two:
 - the session *EventListener(s) (only one instance, but listening to
multiple types of events)
 - the FullTextSession

A FullTextSession needs a reference to the current session, and a
reference to the SearchFactoryImplementor, which is the heavy-weight
global component, similar to a SessionFactory.

Currently a FullTextSession implements Session and is created from the
Session it wraps using a static helper which searches for it's own
PostInsertEventListener in the Session itself, from which it takes a
reference to the needed  SearchFactoryImplementor.

I would be a nice improvement if the "as( FullTextSession.class )"
implementation could retrieve the SearchFactoryImplementor from the
ServiceRegistry instead.

In pseudo code, the "as" implementation for search would look like something as:

FullTextSession createFullTextSession() {
   return new FullTextSession( Session current, serviceRegistry.get(
SearchFactoryImplementor.class ) );
}

(or even simpler if SessionImplementor makes it possible to retrieve services )

Regards,
Sanne