[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH Serialization protocol ready for trunk

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Sat Aug 6 13:22:13 EDT 2011

Hi Emmanuel,

2011/8/6 Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>:
> I forgot to say that
>
> Our avro serializer is slower (1.6) than Java serialization esp when the VM is not warm (small loop value like = 1000
> In evens up on longer loops like 100000
>
> Our avro serializer is slower (2.5) than Java serialization esp when the VM is not warm (small loop value like = 1000
> In evens up or beats the Java serialization on longer loops like 100000

What is the meaning of the number in parenthesis (the number which
makes the two statements different) ?

> However, Avro's message is half the size and there are some room for improvement.

that sounds pretty good and well suited for our purpose.

> On 6 août 2011, at 14:31, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
>
>> I'm done with the serialization protocol. At least, it's in a good shape and should be integrated with trunk
>>
>> It uses Avro and is now integrated with both JGroups and JMS backends.
>>
>> I've abstracted Avro from our serialization logic so we can write alternative prototypes. I'd be interested to see a Protocol Buffer alternative for example. If anyone is interested, check out SerializationProvider and it's inplementation AvroSerializationProvider
>>
>> Not everything is polished, I've created a list of follow up issues to be fixed before 4.0. https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HSEARCH-757
>> These a good candidates for community contribution.
>>
>> I have one minor question
>> Should hibernate.search.jms.indexNameProperty that be part of the protocol or left separate like today?

You likely noticed I had it included in the JGroups backend, since it
has no such properties. I've no strong opinions about it, only thing I
can think of is that having it in the protocol would likely be better
since it means it will be included in what we consider "binary format"
and test for in backwards compatibility; for example I think it should
be "optional": defined only if the receiving side handles more than a
single index.

>> I'll send a pull request in the next few minutes

I'll review it as soon as you do.

Cheers,