[hibernate-dev] new metamodel code

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Aug 15 13:08:30 EDT 2011

This follows up on a discussion from today's irc developer meeting, so
see notes for backstory

The new metamodel code is taking a lot longer than anticipated.  Those
of us at the meeting agreed that we do not see it being finished in the
next 2-4 weeks which is kind of the outside edge I wanted to see for 4.0
so we will be dropping that work as milestone for the 4.0 release.

Which means we need to decide on how to move forward on 4.0.  The
options brought up during the meeting include:
1) Just keep the Configuration and org.hibernate.mapping stuff in place
2) Use org.hibernate.metamodel.MetadataSources,
org.hibernate.metamodel.Metadata, etc but retrofit them to use
org.hibernate.mapping stuff
3) Just keep chugging with 4.0 and upstream projects (JBoss AS, for
example) will just need to use 3.6

Each of those have associated pros and cons (again see meeting minutes).
  Lets meet up quickly tomorrow at same time as normal dev meeting and
vote on these and discuss other alternatives.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org