[hibernate-dev] Question about Hibernate 4.0 Infinispan second level cache usage...

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 16 10:26:53 EDT 2011

Hi Scott,
demanding people to configure a new cache for each application is very
tricky because of ISPN-658, unless you're referring to creating a
whole new instance of Infinispan, with a dedicated new CacheManager
and either starting a new JGroups channel or using the JGroups
multiplexer Paul had written. In case of the multiplexer I'm not sure
if the channel identifiers could be assigned dynamically according to
application deployments and at the same time be consistent with the
identifier numbers chosen on other application server instances, where
different applications might be deployed or in different order, so my
guess is that people would need to deal with additional JGroups
configurations and handle the burden of extra network ports to be
configured and managed.

Using a rich key containing also the PU and application name seems the
best option to me, and I wouldn't worry too much about the additional
payload as that needs to be transferred anyway: I don't see how the
receiving side could route the command to the proper application
otherwise.

I think it would be nice - if possible - to not change the
regionfactory contract but in some way wrap the keys normally
produced, to keep it simple and avoid the payload for those cases it's
not deployed in AS7.

Sanne