[hibernate-dev] [Search] proposing an alternative to depth in @IndexedEmbedded

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 30 14:40:40 EDT 2011

2011/8/30 Zach Kurey <pushedbytime at gmail.com>:
[...]
> Maybe there is some confusion about what I was proposing.  The idea is not
> to have 'additional paths'.  Instead the intent is to explicitly state that
> hibernate search should index 'only these paths' from the property it is
> declared on onward.  Which is why I think its conflicting to put @IndexPaths
> in @IndexEmbedded, since it essentially overrides/disables depth entirely(at
> least that is what I'd want it to do).  Each path has an explicit depth and
> if a particular path is > depth, I'd expect the path depth to be honored.

Yes I understood that was your suggestions; but I think that using
@IndexEmbedded(depth=0, {IndexPath1, IndexPath2})
would get you exactly what you wanted?

Just that I can still use for example depth=1 combined with some paths
to mean "all of depth 1, plus these extra paths we hand-picked".

This flexibility seems handy to me, and makes the two features
compatible (not conflicting in any meaning), to the point that IMHO
they don't need new annotations.