[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Geospatial indexing and queries

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Dec 5 11:37:04 EST 2011

On 5 déc. 2011, at 17:01, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Thanks! Looks like a great start.
>
> Some questions/considerations:
> # In case of multi-level grids, I'd assume that the option is
> specified only on the mapping, but doesn't need to be specified at
> Query time?

That's correct.

> # Not using anything fancy from the Lucene side correct? Just exact
> term matches with boolean operators?

yep. Lucene / Solr spatial is in a moving state and we don't think we need the fancy things they are planning. We will revisit when they come up with something but I don't think we will.

> # Who are those geosuckers ?

Nicolas tried to argue with me that building a time based circle was hard. I believe he and the whole profession are too lazy :)

> # I would consider it very useful to provide scoring according to
> distance; shouldn't be hard to make a custom Similarity which does
> that, might be much harder to create one which is actually fast
> enough, but I believe there are several examples in the Lucene
> community.

If you have some pointers, send them to Nicolas or even better open a jira issue for variable scoring and add the data to it.

> To answer your question on "centeredOn", I'd avoid a strong dependency
> on JTS. The "Object" option you propose could be an interface, and we
> create a factory class which returns them; users should then be able
> to use the JTS enabled factory or a dumb one.

How would that look in practice?