[hibernate-dev] HHH-1123 - Cannot put more than 1000 elements in a InExpression

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 05:58:05 EST 2011

> While I do agree wholeheartedly with most of what you say, I do think it's unfair to say that the requirement is "fundamentally broken".  That label should be reserved for SQL itself ;-)

ok, let me rephrase "its a fundamentally broken way to do queries knowing how majority of all relational database servers are implemented to do this kinda of query", better ? :)

SQL itself is not the problem here.

> If there is some opaque business rule R that operates on a large set of input data, and that rule is implemented in Java, using Hibernate to get the input data, it's quite possible that the rule generates a large list of entities to retrieve.  Is there a better way to batch fetch a s***load of specific entities, given a List or Set of identifiers?

Yes, session.load to set of queries that doesn't put 1000 elements into an in list.

Or change your query heavy logic into using the database what it is good for (joins) and do the heavy computation in memory….

I also do understand that it would be easier to do some of these things in java - but I would argue that in majority of cases your code will be simpler and much faster.
…but that doesn't help users that wants to just use java for computation.

> But I DO think it's actually easier on the temp segment than to not use it, in most cases.

yes, but as Steve says - no good generic way of implementing this.

/max