[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Geospatial indexing and queries

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Dec 19 12:12:30 EST 2011

On 19 déc. 2011, at 16:17, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:

> I am sitting in a similar boat than Sanne. I don't know how much useful feedback I can provide w/o first getting to
> know the actual problem space better.
>
> Looking at the Jira issue and comments, I like the idea of having the @Spatial annotation. One think which comes
> to my mind here is how this all relates to supporting geospatial data types in Core - https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HHH-6509
>
> Will our approach work with these types? Is this completely orthogonal to the mentioned Core data types?

It's a very good question.
Both problem are mainly isolated and these Core types are not used by Hibernate Search but the Java object they convert into are JTS types and
another type that Karel is planning to use. So both features will be consistent.

> What exactly offers this JTS library?

It's the defacto standard in Java to represent spatial objects like Points etc.

> Regarding the DSL, I would definitely go for the approach where we have a unit (.within(2, Unit.km)) instead of .within(2).km().

Interesting, care to articulate your reasoning? I think I like you approach but I can't grasp why.