[hibernate-dev] JIRA issue status - Closed v. Resolved

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue Dec 20 14:18:08 EST 2011

Hi

On Dec 20, 2011, at 18:17, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> According to Atlassian...
> * Resolved : A resolution has been taken, and it is awaiting
> verification by reporter. From here issues are either reopened, or are
> closed.
> * Closed : The issue is considered finished, the resolution is correct.
> Issues which are not closed can be reopened.

I agree with this as well. In HV and SEARCH we close the resolved issues after a release. While they are resolved they could be reopened and closed issues cannot be reopened again. A new issue should be created in this case.

Closing the issues is a manual process, but I don't see a problem with that. Compared to other time wasters I don't mind the 2 minutes this process takes.

> Comments.  Today we allow comments on Closed issues.  Unfortunately we
> have to reopen the issue to then delete comments.  So if we no longer
> physically allow Closed issues to be reopened, then IMO we should
> certainly not allow comments on Closed issues.

What is the problem with comments on closed issues? Some comments might even be useful (aka "had the same problem, fixed now") However, if someone wants to start a new discussion - tough luck. If the comment is legit we tell them to create a new issue and link to it.

> Which brings us to... do we really want to not allow Closed issues to be
> reopened? I mean actually remove the transition?

That's a possibility. Can you do that in Jira?

--hardy