[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Lucene lock problems with Hibernate Search 4.0

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 06:11:51 EST 2011

Hi Sanne,

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:
> [very detailed explanation]

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

While I agree with you on most of what you explained, I think the
point is: is it a good default value?.

The typical development workflow of Debug mode / Play as long as you
can / Hot replace failed / Terminate / Let's play again, which is
quite common amongst Java developers, is clearly incompatible with the
default values, as proved by our last week of pain.

While I think most of the people going live with Hibernate Search
would take a look at a "Before going live" section of the
documentation, I'm pretty sure most of the developers who simply want
to evaluate it won't read a "Hey, if you want to play with it, you
have to be careful and change the default lock mode" section. And lock
problems in your typical dev workflow really make you reconsider
playing with it further - even if it's a good thing to have something
robust in production.

I seriously considered going back to Hibernate 3.6/Hibernate Search
3.4 on our current project before reading the code of the various lock
implementations and thinking about changing the lock mode.

Just my 2 cents as a long time Hibernate Search user and advocate (and
a happy one).

--
Guillaume