[hibernate-dev] [Fwd: Re: UserType.nullSafeSet() and nullSafeGet() in H4]

Gail Badner gbadner at redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 18:28:56 EST 2011

The biggest change is in UserType. In the 3.6 branch (i.e., 3.6.2 and
later 3.6.x releases) , the following UserType methods will be deprecated:
    public Object nullSafeGet(ResultSet rs, String[] names, Object owner)
    public void nullSafeSet(PreparedStatement st, Object value, int index)

A non-deprecated alternative cannot be provided in 3.6.x, because doing
so would break implementations of UserType.

In master (H4), these deprecated methods will be replaced by:
    public Object nullSafeGet(ResultSet rs, String[] names,
SessionImplementor session, Object owner)
    public void nullSafeSet(PreparedStatement st, Object value, int
index, SessionImplementor session)

This change in master will be a breaking change that will be documented
in the H4 migration guide.

Also in master, I will be removing the nullSafeGet/nullSafeSet/get/set
methods from SingleColumnType and AbstractSingleColumnStandardBasicType
that were deprecated in 3.6

When I make these changes, I will make sure that any UserTypes defined
in master are intact.

Please let me know if there would be a problem making these changes to
master.  Unless I hear otherwise, I plan to make these changes on Friday.

Cheers,
Gail