[hibernate-dev] hibernate-dev Digest, Vol 56, Issue 20

Marc Schipperheyn m.schipperheyn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 13:39:27 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Hardy Ferentschik <hibernate at ferentschik.de
> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> thanks for your feedback. Answers inline
>

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:08:43 +0100, Marc Schipperheyn <
> m.schipperheyn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  I have a lot of experience with Bobo Browse. The code is well maintained
>> and performs well.
>>

> The last release was over a year back and personally I find the docs very
> sparse. I also
> think there is a lot of complexity in bob browse which is not needed for
> simple faceting.

It's certainly true that the release cycle is not really well structured
although code updates are frequent and well tested.
My problem is that javadoc is horrible. Other than that the documentation is
on the sparse side but workable.

The problem with simple faceting is that pretty soon simple is too simple.

> Either way, I don't think it would be a good idea to expose the bobo browse
> facet API directly
> in Search. This would bind us to bobo browse for now apparent reason. If we
> come up with with
> a working facet API for Search we can always change the implementation
> later or make it
> configurable.

Makes sense

>  I don't have time to download and implement code examples, but if you have
>> working examples up somewhere, I'd be happy to take a look.
>>

> There are code examples in SimpleFacetingTest.java and
> RangeFacetingTest.java in this
> package
> https://github.com/hferentschik/hibernate-search/tree/3a9877e2bbc47a8bd6e438dbbab56d93ac9101fd/hibernate-search/src/test/java/org/hibernate/search/test/query/facet
>
> If you get hold of
> https://github.com/hferentschik/hibernate-search/tree/HSEARCH-667 you can
> always run
> these examples by running 'mvn clean test'

I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Marc