[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH-471 Ability to selectively index an entity based on its state

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Fri Jan 14 07:47:09 EST 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:33:25 +0100, Sanne Grinovero
<sanne.grinovero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed, also there where additional similar requests recently via the
> forums. As usual, alternatives where found but we should make this
> easier.

> * SearchFactory.enableIndexing(boolean) // enables/disables globally on
> the fly
> could operate on existing boolean
> org.hibernate.search.event.FullTextIndexEventListener.used

+1 This is something I was wishing for some time back. It should be easy
to implement as well. This option should then also be exposed via JMX.

> * FullTextSession.enableIndexing(boolean)
> toggles indexing for the currently open session

I don't find this very useful. Could be skipped imo

> * entity controlled, via an entity-level annotation pointing to some
> custom implementation respecting interface:
> boolean indexingEnabled(T entity)
> This one is more tricky, should we evaluate it twice (before and after
> changes) to see if an index delete operation should trigger?
> As an alternative, could it have sense to provide a more complex
> interface which controls add/update/delete triggers prevention.

That would really be the solution for the HSEARCH-471 usecase, hence +1
Of course we would have to settle the details.

> * entity controlled, via an annotated boolean property
> I'd mandate a boolean property, or something which can be easily
> evaluated via a SQL fragment / Criteria / filterable, so that the same
> information could be reused
> by the MassIndexer when picking all values to be indexed.

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean.

--Hardy