[hibernate-dev] JUnit 4.8

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Wed Jan 19 11:32:57 EST 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:23:14 +0100, Emmanuel Bernard
<emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> AFAIK we stayed on JUnit 3.8 to keep 1.4 compatibility.
> Now that this is gone, what do you think about moving to JUnit 4.8

I think moving to JUnit 4.8 shouldn't be hard, especially since it
contains a Junit 3
runner so that you don't have to convert all test in one go.

If I remember correctly there was always another reason except the Java
1.4 compatibility.
I think it had to do with how test classes are instantiated. For this
reason we also
discussed once testNG (which also had some shortcomings)

> There are a few interesting new features besides the annotation goodness.
> I am particularly interested in Rules which is essentially behavioral
> injection before / after test
> http://kentbeck.github.com/junit/doc/ReleaseNotes4.7.html

I've seen a presentation once about someone using rules and it looked
interesting.
As said, I don't think it should be hard to switch to JUnit 4. However,
the more
specific features we are going to use the harder a potential switch of
frameworks
become.

Maybe Steve can fill us in again which particular problem there was with
JUnit.

--Hardy