[hibernate-dev] save the planet one non character stroke at a time

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue Jul 12 04:39:17 EDT 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:30:21 +0200, Emmanuel Bernard
<emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Today for pull requests, we do push to a branch named after the JIRA
> issue
>   eg 'git push manu HSEARCH-123'

If on a feature branch I just do

git push my-fork HEAD

this way I don't have to type a branch name at all (well, obviously the
branch is
still called HSEARCH-123)

> I propose that for issues related to the project (99.9% of the time), we
> instead use the numeric part of the issue as a branch name
>   eg 'git push manu 123'

See, what you are loosing here is the ability to cut&paste the branch name
and then paste it
into the browser to open the Jira

> As Git repos are naturally scoped to the issues, that should not be a
> problem and it will help type less and help git-complete auto completion.

How does this help git-complete? One less tab? I am not convinced. I am
not convinced and
personally I like the full issue key. It just feels more right.

--Hardy