[hibernate-dev] Interested in helping a research study on Eclipse?

Mohsen Vakilian mvakili2 at illinois.edu
Mon Jun 6 20:36:00 EDT 2011

Hi

I'm Mohsen, a PhD student working with Prof. Ralph Johnson at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). Ralph is
a co-author of the seminal book on design patterns (GoF) and his research group has a history of important contributions to
IDE's.

Our team [1] is studying how developers interact with the Eclipse IDE for evolving and maintaining their code. We are extending
this invitation to expert Java developers and would greatly appreciate and value your participation and help in our research
study. We know that some of you use IntelliJ IDEA to contribute to Hibernate. And, we're sending an invitation to this mailing
list just in case some of you use Eclipse for contributing to open source projects.

To participate you should be at least 18 years old and use Eclipse Helios for Java development. As a participant, we ask that
you complete a short survey and install our Eclipse plug-in called CodingSpectator [2].

CodingSpectator monitors programming interactions non-intrusively in the background and periodically uploads it to a secure
server at UIUC. To get a representative perspective of how you interact with Eclipse, we would appreciate if you could install
CodingSpectator for two months. Rest assured that we are taking the utmost measures to protect your privacy and
confidentiality.

If you are interested, you may sign up at <http://codingspectator.cs.illinois.edu/ConsentForm>, which contains our consent form
with all the details and procedures of our research study.

Your participation will help us greatly as we try to better understand how developers interact with their IDE's so we can propose
improvements which fit better with their mindsets.

Thanks in advance for your time! Please do not hesitate to contact me (mvakili2 at illinois.edu) if you have any questions or
comments. More information can also be found at our FAQ [3]. Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone who might be
interested in participating in this study.

--
Mohsen Vakilian
& the CodingSpectator team

[1] http://codingspectator.cs.illinois.edu/People